Breaking News
  • May 4th and 5th: Track State Meet
  • May 7th: Baseball 1st Play-off Game vs. TCA
  • May 8th: Softball 2nd Play-off Game vs. Antonian Catholic College Prep
  • May 6th-10th: AP Testing and Senior Finals
  • May 13th-17th: Finals
  • Graduation is Friday, May 17th
  • May 20th: Memorial Day Holiday

It’s Swing Time!

Get In The Groove with Jazz Band

What has a funky beat, unusual instruments, and a positive tune sure to lighten the mood of any party? That’s right, jazz music. Jazz, originating in late 19th-century America, blends African rhythms, European harmonies, and improvisation and evolving through ragtime, blues, and swing. It soared during the Roaring Twenties, influencing cultural movements and global music, making it a diverse and enduring art form.

Each year, during the Spring semester, Upper School Band Director, Mr. Eddie Jimenez, leads jazz band rehearsals every Monday after school. And each year, the jazz band never fails to disappoint with an exciting selection of music.

Senior Everly Roach said, “I love being in a more casual environment where there are more opportunities to be fun and have creative liberties in a different style of music.”

Sophomore Colton Mills said, “I enjoy learning about a new style of music. Since most music programs teach classical music, it’s nice to be able to branch out into other forms of music.”

Students are encouraged to learn new things about the instrument of their choosing, along with a style of music they are unfamiliar with. Every student in jazz looks forward to taking on the challenge of being a versatile musician, in every aspect of the melodic word.

Everly also said, “I’m looking forward to playing an instrument that I don’t usually play all the time.”

Instruments ranging from trumpet and saxophone to drum kit and bass guitar, there’s something for everyone with musical talent and an interest in learning new things. While jazz bands are full of unique instruments, there’s an even more unusual band of members to play them. The band offers opportunities for students outside of band class, teachers, and even parents to join in on the fun.

Colton said, “If you enjoy music, then come join. Being exposed to something new, like a different genre of music is always beneficial.”

Everly said, “It’s a great way to experience a new culture and meet new people without having to be in the band all the time.”

Interested in joining, but not sure how? Come stop by Mr. Jimenez’s office, located in the band hall, after school to get started. The band would love to have you as our next potential melodical prodigy.