Breaking News
  • May 4th and 5th: Track State Meet
  • May 7th: Baseball 1st Play-off Game vs. TCA
  • May 8th: Softball 2nd Play-off Game vs. Antonian Catholic College Prep
  • May 6th-10th: AP Testing and Senior Finals
  • May 13th-17th: Finals
  • Graduation is Friday, May 17th
  • May 20th: Memorial Day Holiday

Through My Eyes: How to Study for AP Classes

Graphic by Lily Gossett

As a Junior preparing for college applications, I know academic pressure to boost your GPA can feel very overwhelming. For many students, the best strategy to achieve their desired rank is enrolling in numerous AP classes, which often only adds to their anxiety. In my opinion, these classes don’t need to be scary! Below are my personal favorite study strategies for some AP courses, which are also incredibly effective.

For math and science courses, such as AP Physics or BC Calculus, I highly recommend working through practice problems in a simulated test environment. Although you may feel rereading your notes and homework does the trick, studies have proven that working through problems is more effective as it trains your brain to mentally organize information, supporting better retention and exam performance. Reading notes or previous assignments creates an illusion of preparedness and knowledge, since the information is right in front of you, which often leads to inadequate study time.

For history courses, such as AP Euro, I suggest saying the information out loud. A great strategy to do so is by pretending to teach the information. The best evidence for long-term retention is the ability to effectively communicate the information to others. It may sound stupid, but set up stuffed animals or even talk to your pets! Or, if your parents are willing, teach it to them! Set aside thirty minutes to an hour and try to have fun with it. History is really interesting, try telling it like a long detailed story and enjoy impressing your “students” with your knowledge on the subject!

I know it seems difficult, but don’t give up! Try these techniques and give it your best. Good luck and happy studying!