Breaking News
  • May 4th and 5th: Track State Meet
  • May 7th: Baseball 1st Play-off Game vs. TCA
  • May 8th: Softball 2nd Play-off Game vs. Antonian Catholic College Prep
  • May 6th-10th: AP Testing and Senior Finals
  • May 13th-17th: Finals
  • Graduation is Friday, May 17th
  • May 20th: Memorial Day Holiday

What Is Your Goliath?

The High School Marching Band Gives the Answer to the Name Goliath

Fear, anxiety, depression. These are things anyone and everyone struggles with in their day-to-day lives. Things that can feel overwhelming, overpowering, and undefeatable. But this year the marching band has put together a show that is sure to prove that the bigger your giants are, the harder they will fall.

Upper School Band Director, Mr. Eddie Jimenez said, “Everybody in the world has their own Goliath that they have to defeat, and not just one man. So that’s how I came up with the idea of what if this year’s show was called Goliath because everybody struggles with something, whether temporary or long term.”

Although everyone has giants in their life, they cannot defeat them alone. Deuteronomy 20:4 says, “For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.”

Even though it is a heavy topic to address, the band still enjoys playing every note of the show to the best of their abilities.

Sophomore Blake Roberts said, “I play tenor drums. I enjoyed cleaning the music and taking the time to make it sound better.”

Senior Everly Roach said, “I love the electric guitar incorporation this year, as well as the musicality and passion that finishes out part one.”

The band is always ready for whatever comes their way, whether rain, shine, or the loss of power to the stadium lights, as what happened at last Friday night’s away game against Liberty Christian High School. When the lights went down, the bells of the trumpets, tubas, and trombones went up as the band took this opportunity to play stand tunes for the fans until the stadium lights became safe enough to turn back on.
When it was time for the band to roll out the equipment onto the field, the band had a blast finally getting to play their show for a large audience.

“It’s definitely nerve-wracking because I don’t know how the performance will turn out,” said Everly, “but it’s super fun because I get to have my name announced every Friday night and lead a really cool show as well.” “I think we performed well,” said Blake, “though some parts still needed work, it was a good first performance.”

From pep rallies to halftime shows to all school worship performances, the band is always ready to deliver the message that everyone has something that they are going through; something they’re trying to defeat. But it is only by God’s awesome grace and mercy that our troubles can be defeated. When performing, the band is also asking their audience the question: What is your giant, and are you ready to defeat it with the power of God on your side?