Filed under Why it Matters

Down to Business

President Trump selects cabinet members, two with Texas ties.

Members of President Donald Trump's proposed cabinet

President Donald J. Trump assembled his Cabinet in the weeks leading up to the inauguration, as his plans for the first 100 days require getting to work immediately. His Cabinet reflects his campaign promise to “drain the swamp” as many of them would be considered Washington outsiders. He did, however, draw on those with political experience where appropriate.

Current Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions as the Attorney General and former Texas businessman and ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State lead the Cabinet. Also confirmed are Retired United States Marine Corps Generals John F. Kelley and James N. Mattis as Homeland Security Secretary and Secretary of Defense, respectively. Former contenders for the Republican nomination will also join the Cabinet, with former neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry taking office as Secretary of Energy.

President Trump’s cabinet will have a lasting effect on the country. The members of the cabinet fulfill two roles: to advise him regarding policy decisions and leading their respective departments. These men and women will be his closest advisors, and should he become unable to perform his presidential duties, they are first in the order of presidential succession.”The cabinet’s over sight provides some sense of order, structure and accountability,” said Sophomore Nick Whitley.

Students benefit from knowing who these officials are, and the views that they hold, because they will shape the future especially as it relates to the military, the courts and the economy.

Science teacher Melody Gravett said, “I love Ben Carson. He’s pro-life, and a real person who has been through it all.”
Science teacher Amy Lumley is also excited to have Dr. Carson in the Cabinet. She said, “He’s compassionate and seeks wisdom from God before he acts.”
Confirmation hearings began in Congress and will continue until all positions are approved.

About the Writer
Michael Beckemeier, Staff Writer
Michael is a sophomore and it’s his first year to write for LionNationOnline. Warriors blew a 3-1 lead.
  • Down to Business

Why it Matters

Securing the Seven

• Down to Business

Lion of the Week

Meet Noelle Piatas

• Announcements

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

• Announcements

Monday, September 17th, 2018

• Down to Business

Student Life

Retreat 2018 Photo Montage

• Down to Business

20/20 Photo Galleries

20/20 First Pep Rally

• Down to Business

20/20 Photo Galleries

20/20 Friday Night Lights: Fall 2018

• Announcements

Homecoming 2018 Deadlines and Dates

• Announcements

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

• Down to Business

Team Rosters

Pom Squad