• April 19 / 7:00 pmVarsity Baseball | Parish (at Graham Field)
  • April 19 / 4:00 pmVarsity Softball | Trinity Christian Academy (at Home)

Shae Locklin
Shae Locklin

Shae Locklin is a Junior and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff, where she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys making art, creating music with her friends, and all things outdoors. Shae is...

Justin Rodriguez
Justin Rodriguez

Justin is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. He serves as a Sports Editor. He enjoys basketball and football, and also loves music and fashion.

Chelsea Martinez
Chelsea Martinez

Chelsea Martinez is a Senior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys shopping, traveling, and hanging out with her friends. When she is not doing...

A Super(bowl) Experience

A Look into Super Bowl LVII

With Super Bowl LVII coming up, lots of people are preparing to watch the team they want to win give their all. Whether it’s the game or the commercials or even the halftime show, there are many things to look forward to.

This year Super Bowl LVII includes the matchup between Patrick Mahomes and the two time champions the Kansas City Chiefs and Jalen Hurts, and the one time champions the Philadelphia Eagles. It will be held at the State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona on Sunday, February 12, 2023.

In this generation, the first person that comes to mind when winning Super Bowls is former quarterback, Tom Brady. He spent twenty seasons in the National Football League where he won seven Super Bowls with teams such as the New England Patriots and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He is arguably one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. As he won more and more Super Bowl’s people started to not want him to win because they wanted to see someone else get the chance to achieve greatness.

This can also be the case with quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs. The former quarterback for the Texas Tech Red Raiders was drafted tenth overall by the Kansas City Chiefs where he has since won a Super Bowl in 2020 and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player.

Junior Jared Platt says, “I want the Eagles to win because I do not want to see the Chiefs win again.” Since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with Mahomes before, some may want Jalen Hurts to win with the Eagles. Junior Ayden Snell says, “I want the Chiefs to win because I love Patrick Mahomes.” Who you want to win can also depend on the player you like.

Another essential part to the Super Bowl are the commercials. Some of the most popular commercials include the Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Snickers commercial. Most companies that have commercials during the Super Bowl pay exorbitant amounts of money to advertise their products to help get a good sale. They are used to entertain people with comedy and quality or special effects. Jared says, “I enjoy seeing the commercials because they are always so creative.”

The most important things about the Super Bowl besides the actual game are the halftime show and the singing of the National Anthem. In the past the halftime show has been done by people such as Katy Perry, Beyoncé, and Bruno Mars. This year the halftime show is being performed by nine-time Grammy winner Rihanna. There is lots of excitement and buzz going around about this performance.

Senior A.J. Sibley says, “I can’t wait to see Rihanna perform her best songs, and I am excited for the energy and the culture of the Super Bowl.” People love Rihanna and they cannot wait to see what she has in store for the show.
This performance is highly anticipated because Rihanna has not released an album since 2016 and she has not been releasing music. People are very excited to see her perform.

This year eight-time Grammy winner Chris Stapleton will be singing the National Anthem. This will be the third consecutive year a country singer has sang all or part of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the Super Bowl. One of the most iconic national-anthem singers for the Super Bowl was Whitney Houston in 1991.

The Super Bowl is a great opportunity for people to come together to watch a sport and fellowship with each other. Whether it is rooting for your favorite team or just simply enjoying some great football, everyone can get something out of it.

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley, Co-Sports Editor
Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out with friends in her free time.