Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Rachel Denbraber
Rachel Denbraber

Rachel DenBraber is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys participating in FPS and Science Olympiad. Outside of school, she enjoys...

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Why We Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.
Sherina McKinley

Martin Luther King was one of the most influential civil rights leaders in American history. He fought for the desegregation of African Americans, voting rights, labor rights, and countless other civil rights. His main goal was to have social and legal equality for African American people in the United States. Martin Luther King Jr. day became a federal holiday due to former President Ronald Reagan signing a bill on November 2, 1983 in order to honor King’s legacy. Although the holiday became official in 1983, it was not observed until three years later on January 20, 1986.

What really staked King’s place in the history books, his “I Have a Dream” speech, was given in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC on August 28, 1963 in front of over 200,000 people. The main idea of this speech was to reiterate the importance of racial equality and emphasize his personal passion for the lives of African American youth.  High School Math teacher Raymond Morton says, “I think this speech is a great moment that is still relevant today.” The bible teaches the importance of treating others equally. Dr. King had so much courage when it came to what he fought for; and it was only right to dedicate a day to him.

A day for Dr. King is a day that honors him and what he stood for. He decided to stand up for what is right, which opened the door for all African American people to be treated equally. He was one of the first to make a big change for his community. He stood out from the other political advocates of his time in that he did not have to use violence to make his point, the eloquence of his words was powerful enough. Senior Juliana Chavez says, “His perseverance through adversity is motivating.” Dr. King inspired many people before him and after him.

This day is such an important day because it is a day that celebrates Dr. King and this day teaches children about racial injustice, and it can also help to remind some parents that it is acceptable to listen to young voices.

Dr. King was the youngest man ever to receive the Nobel Peace Prize at 35 years old. He was awarded this due to his leadership and all he did for the equal rights movement. His willingness to go out and make a difference in the world is very inspiring. He did not let what others say or do bring him down and this is why he was successful in his movement. Dr. King is an inspiration to many and his legacy will continue to live on for generations.

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley, Co-Sports Editor
Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out with friends in her free time.