Chelsea Martinez
Chelsea Martinez

Chelsea Martinez is a Senior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys shopping, traveling, and hanging out with her friends. When she is not doing...

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley
Co-Sports Editor

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Adviser Aubrey Pasant has been part of the Lion Nation since 2011 as a parent and is in her sixth year of helping students cover everything PCA. A proud Baylor alumna and also an avid Baylor fan, she...

17 Things to do in 2017

From movies to Minimester and coasters to concerts, 2017 is shaping up to be an exciting year

1. Presidential Inauguration – January 20

After a controversial campaign season, Donald Trump won the Presidential election and is now President-Elect of the United States. Whether you watch live from the steps of the Capitol in Washington D.C. or in the comfort of your own home, don’t miss the historic inauguration of 45th US president.

2. Super Bowl LI – February 5

Super Bowl 51 will take place at the NRG Stadium in Houston, and the short road trip might be worth it. Or simply gather some friends, chips and guacamole for a great time at home.

3. Minimester – March 6-10

Make the most out of this amazing week as you travel across the globe, across the country, or across town. Use this time to grow closer to God and be His hands and feet no matter where you’re going.

4. Beauty and the Beast remake – March 17

More than 25 years after the original Disney film was released, this live action remake will star Emma Watson and Dan Stevens. People everywhere are waiting to see this tale that truly is as old as time.

5. Chris Tomlin Worship Night in America – April 21-22

Worship with Christian brothers and sisters when the tour stops at the Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie. The event will be led by Christian artist Chris Tomlin and feature guests Big Daddy Weave, Phil Wickham, Zach Williams, Mosaic MSC and Jason Barton.

6. Spring Musical Cinderella – April 5-8

The Theatre department proudly presents Cinderella. You can’t miss what is sure to be an amazing performance at the Eisemann Center in Richardson from our very own students.

7. Klyde Warren Park

As the weather starts to warm up, take a trip downtown to the beautiful Klyde Warren Park. Stop at the food trucks, relax and take advantage of all the activities that are available.

8. The Joker Ride at Six Flags over Texas – Spring 2017

This new roller coaster is expected to open sometime this spring. It is a “free-fly coaster” so riders will be able to spin around in any direction regardless of which way the coaster goes. This is a must-ride for any thrill seeker – if you’re brave enough.

9. Fast and Furious 8 – April 14

The Fast and Furious franchise returns this spring. Although Paul Walker will be missed, the new movie stars returning actors Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, and others, but also includes newcomers Helen Mirren and Charlize Theron.

10. Commencement – May 19

They’re so fresh, they’re so clean, they’re the class of 2017! Come say “good-bye” and celebrate the achievements and legacy of the Seniors at Graduation.

11. Dallas Zoo

Walk on the wild side by taking a trip to the Dallas Zoo. Watch for Dollar Day promotion where snacks and admission all cost only $1.

12. Despicable Me 3 – June 30

After making more than $2 billion at the box office worldwide with their movies Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, and Minions, Illumination Entertainment brings  another film – Despicable Me 3. Starring Steve Carell in an interesting double role, addressing the topics of sibling rivalry and growing up in a humorous, light-hearted way.

13. Justin Bieber – July 29

As part of his Purpose World Tour, Bieber will be coming to the AT&T Stadium in Arlington. If you’re a real “Belieber,” why would you miss it?

14. Solar Eclipse – August 21

For the first time in 38 years, there will be a total solar eclipse visible in the continental U.S. Be sure to be prepared for this historic event with proper eye protection and a pinhole camera.

15. Bruno Mars 24K Magic World Tour – October 27

It’s been four years since Bruno Mars came to Dallas, so if you’re a fan, you won’t want to miss what’s sure to be an outstanding performance from this four-time Grammy winner.

16. Star Wars Episode 8 – December 15

Another Star Wars movie will be released at the end of 2017. Episode 8 is the last film for Princess Leia, the late Carrie Fisher, and picks up right where the Force Awakens left off. Director Rian Johnson said, “I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were.”

17. Dallas Winds Symphony

The Morton Meyerson Symphony Center in downtown Dallas is home to one of the greatest wind ensembles in the entire nation. Take the time to stop and listen at one of several concerts the Dallas Winds Symphony performs each year.

Natania Christopher
Natania Christopher, Managing Editor
Natania is a Senior, and this is her second year on staff. She plays in the school band and is a member of way too many clubs, but enjoys them all. In her spare time, she likes to hang out with friends, read and, of course, sleep.