Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Brooks Garland has been on the PCA Student Media Staff for 3 years and serves as Newspaper Intern this year. In her free time, she enjoys long walks on the beach, cheer, spending time with friends and...

Justin Rodriguez
Justin Rodriguez

Justin is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. He serves as a Sports Editor. He enjoys basketball and football, and also loves music and fashion.

Volleyball Wins Back to Back State Titles

The Lady Lions have done it again! They are the 2023 TAPPS State Volleyball Champions. The Lady Lions were able to walk away with a three set win against Antonian in order to become back to back state champions. All the hard work and dedication was worth it when it came down to another state championship.

With winning a state championship comes lots of preparation. Senior Captain Mikala Young says, “We had tough practices with good scout team work that helped us get ready for our opponents.” Being the best in the state means that there are going to be hard teams that you play against. This is even better for the returners on the team because they are now back to back state champions. Senior Kennedy Washington says, “It was nice because it shows how much work we put in throughout the season in order to achieve what we did last year.” These girls had to work hard all season in order to get where they are now and it was all worth it in the end.

With the championship season they had last year came with some high expectations. Senior Autumn Smith says, “The first time it was easier to win, but this year it was harder because we had to live up to the expectation.” Everyone is expecting them to be great so now it’s about living up to that hype. That is exactly what the Lady Lions did, they lived up to the hype and more.

This is also nice for some of the new students that joined the team. Senior Trishelle Williams says, “As a new student, it was so much fun to come in and play my last year of high school volleyball with these girls, and we got to win a state championship on top of that.” It’s really nice that she joined the PCA family and was able to become a state champion with her new school.

One of the many goals of a high school athlete is to win state and the Lady Lions had the opportunity to do that. This is something that nobody can take away from them. Winning state is an accomplishment that is very hard to achieve. At the end of the day none of this would have been possible without God.

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley, Co-Sports Editor
Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out with friends in her free time.