A Guide to Freshman Year

Tips from PCA Seniors on how to survive freshman year.
    Zion Mathesun
    Senior Asa Miller works with his group in Mr. Chong’s physics class.

One of the many things about being a Senior is that you have been through everything as a student. This makes it to where you have experienced everything and can give great advice about past years. You have been in the freshman’s shoes.

Freshman year can be scary at first, but with help from the seniors, it should be a breeze. There are many things that one may worry about during their freshman year. Whether it’s finding the perfect friend group, making the best grades, or maybe thinking about college, everything happens for a reason. Senior Trishelle Williams says, “Many people advise you to find that perfect friend group your freshman year, but that might not always happen and that’s okay.” There is plenty of time for you to find your people. If you cannot find a specific person or group, then try to be friends with everyone. Prestonwood is a small school, so it is very easy to know everyone. Take advantage of that, because not everyone can say they know everyone in their grade.

It is very common to be nervous about the transition from Eighth grade to Upper School. Senior Sloan Freeman says, “Don’t let the initial stresses of Upper School scare you, because before you know it you will be a senior.” As a Senior myself, I cannot stress enough how fast Upper School goes by. Make the most of all your years in Upper School because before you know it, you are getting ready to graduate. Sloan says, “ Live your Upper School years to the fullest and stay involved with everything that you can.” That is one thing that you are going to hear a lot is to stay involved. It is fun to make memories, and by putting yourself in all these activities you can branch out and make new friends.

It is important to realize that you are not the only person going through this. Senior Caroline Adams says, “It may feel like you are the only one struggling, but there are hundreds of other people all over the country that are going through the same things as you.” This should fuel you to want to branch out and try to find your place. Trishelle says, “Try and join extracurriculars early to find friends who share your interest, whether that is sports, arts, STEM… making friends is easier when you already have an idea of what you have in common.”

The most important thing is your school work. Sloan says, “Things will get harder and the workload will increase, but it’s all preparing you for the ultimate goal, college, so take everyday as a new learning experience” Although it may not feel like it, your grades matter and you should try to be the best in everything you do whether that is academics, sports, or anything that you enjoy.

Freshman year may seem like a scary time, but as time goes on you will get more comfortable and before you know it you will be a Senior. Make new friends, try new things, and step out of your comfort zone. The most important thing is to never lose your faith in God. He will get you through this uncertain time because he has a plan for you.