Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Shae Locklin
Shae Locklin

Shae Locklin is a Junior and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff, where she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys making art, creating music with her friends, and all things outdoors. Shae is...

Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

MLK Day 2022

Celebrating the Leader of Justice

January 17th is a day we honor the life of one of the greatest leaders in the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King Jr. His life and legacy is celebrated all around the United States. On this day 59 years ago, in front of 250,000 people, Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. gave one of the most famous speeches in history, his “I have a Dream” speech.

At PCA, the librarians spend this day by showing honor to the leader in these peaceful racial protests. Middle school librarian Mrs. Madden desires for her “students to understand why they have the day off” on January 17th. Mrs. Madden also says she will celebrate by putting “quotes on the hall walls by Dr. King” as well as “decorate the doors to the MS Library.” By decorating the door, the message of Martin Luthur King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech is emphasized to the students even after 56 years. Upper school librarian Mrs. Towle has a page on the library webpage sharing “some knowledge to learn more about Dr. King” the virtual “celebrations around town” as well as “displaying books we have in the library that honor his contributions.” Reading about Martin Luthur King Jr.’s sacrifice and desire for equality will help give us a better understanding of why we have the day off.

According to Psalms 139:14, we are all “fearfully and wonderfully made” in the image of God. So, therefore, we are called to embrace each other’s differences. Even though racial inequality may not look the same today as it did 59 years ago, MLK’s racial equality message still holds true. According to John 13:34, God commands us as his disciples to “love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” Martin Luthur King Jr. is a perfect example of this verse. 

January 17th not only is a day off of school and work, it is also a day we remember a fearless civil rights leader who changed the world.

Macy Dale
Macy Dale, Staff Writer
Macy Dale is a senior and first-year member on the LionNationOnline staff serving as a Staff Writer. She has been the manager of the award-winning PCA POM team. She also is involved in Student Leadership Institute. Outside of school, she enjoys reading, writing, and hanging with her family.