Julia Pickett
Julia Pickett
Co Editor-In-Chief

Julia Pickett is a Senior and lifer at PCA. She is a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff as Co Editor-In-Chief. She enjoys writing, traveling, watching sunsets, and spending time with family...

Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Lindsay Pyle
Lindsay Pyle

Lindsay Pyle is a Junior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer. In her free time she enjoys listening to Elvis Presley, watching Gilmore girls, and spending...

Texas Independence Day

The History Behind The Holiday And What It Means To Remember The Alamo
Photo Provided by Wide Open Country Staff

Texas finally tasted freedom on March 2, 1836, when Mexican dictator Santa Anna was forced to acknowledge Texas as the independent Republic it fought to be. Santa Anna was determined to end any and all rebellions stirred by Texans, but he ultimately met his own subdual when determined Texans captured him, pressuring him to sign all Mexican troops out of the south of Rio Grande. This final relinquishment of Mexican power is celebrated even today by Texans.

History Teacher Mr. Jacob Emory said, “As a citizen of the great state of Texas, the one thing I hope to always be able to share with people is my obsession with remembering the Alamo.” He goes on to say, “Texas Independence Day is a great celebration of the idea of independence. Texas was founded on the belief that we can create a place that protects liberty.”

The phrase “Remember the Alamo” was cried out in remembrance of the Battle of the Alamo. In this battle, Texans fought for what is believed to be their most pivotal battle to independence. Mexican troops under Santa Anna took back the Alamo Mission near San Antonio de Béxar, ending the lives of the Texians and Tejanos inside in a 13-day siege. We remember the Alamo to honor the two hundred Texans who died for the sake of the Republic.

Texas established liberty because of such ambitions for freedom. Even today, this great state experiences the benefits of its history. We remember our history and the sacrifices of those who helped Texas achieve the success and notability it has today, but we do so while also remembering the pain and death that came with it. Like Mr. Emory said, “While [our history is] not always entirely perfect, the foundation [for our freedom] was laid.”

Texans today have pride in saying they are from this great state and rightfully so. This Texas Independence Day, citizens remember the Alamo not because it is the catchy saying on every Texas t-shirt tourist shop, but because this state’s deep and complex history deserves recognition and respect.

Ronia Christopher, Staff Writer
Ronia Christopher is a Junior and first-year member on the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She has been a part of the state-winning Mock Trial team and is involved in the International Justice Mission Club. Apart from school, she loves to camp and spend time in the outdoors with her family.