• April 25 / 5:00 pmVarsity Baseball | Liberty Christian School (at Away)

Jason Vera
Jason Vera

Jason is a Junior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. He serves as a staff writer. In his free time, he enjoys skating, volleyball, and gaming.

Lindsay Pyle
Lindsay Pyle

Lindsay Pyle is a Junior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer. In her free time she enjoys listening to Elvis Presley, watching Gilmore girls, and spending...

Rachel Denbraber
Rachel Denbraber

Rachel DenBraber is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys participating in FPS and Science Olympiad. Outside of school, she enjoys...

Meet the Coach

Coach Shanon Purcell, Varsity Football
Maxwell Ruley
An interview with Coach Shannon Purcell

What age were you when you started coaching?
I started coaching when I was 22 years old. I was still in college at Texas A&M, and my degree required me to complete a semester of student teaching and coaching.

How did you decide to become a football coach?
One of the main deciding factors of becoming a football coach was that I grew up with my father and uncle who were high school football coaches, and my mother was a 4th grade teacher. Public education is all I ever knew. I loved watching my parents mentor, empower and teach young people. I considered it a ministry.

Where did you grow up?
I was born in Plano, TX, but grew up in Lucas, TX. My brother and I were raised on a small farm, we raised horses and such.

What is the hardest thing about coaching football?
The hardest part about coaching football is not being able to make all my players happy. I am a people pleaser by nature, and sometimes my athletes that deserve a starting role don’t get one. Not because they don’t deserve it, but just because there just aren’t enough starting roles for everyone on the team. I hate when I see student athletes work so hard but still don’t get to start on a team. I have also experienced it and know how painful and frustrating it can be. It’s a great life lesson but a difficult one to learn and grow from.

What was your football experience as a player?
My experience in football as a player was playing high school football at Allen High School. I was very average.

What are your hobbies? What do you do with your free time?
In my free time I like to train, run, hunt and fish.

What are your hopes for the team in this upcoming football season?
My hopes for the team are to have fun and win! We are very talented and young! Our expectation is to be the very best team we can be the last week of the season!

Name a recent coaching accomplishment you are proud of, and why?
A recent coaching accomplishment that I am proud of was becoming the 2017 State Champions! It always feels good to be #1! Lots of hard work, sacrifice and dedication culminated in a huge comeback win!!

Name one thing about yourself most people don’t know.
Most people do not know that I had the opportunity to teach and coach Matthew Stafford and Clayton Kershaw.

Why should students consider joining football?
Students should consider joining football because athletics in general is a microcosm of life, specifically football. Many of life’s lessons such as discipline, pride, poise, class, decision making, accountability and the value of hard work and sacrifice are learned too. By playing football you will develop incredible friendships and relationships that last a lifetime. I will always remember my high school teammates. Those were some of the best years of my life! I still keep up with many of them. I could go on and on but there is a place for everyone on a team.