Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Shae Locklin
Shae Locklin

Shae Locklin is a Junior and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff, where she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys making art, creating music with her friends, and all things outdoors. Shae is...

Adviser Aubrey Pasant has been part of the Lion Nation since 2011 as a parent and is in her sixth year of helping students cover everything PCA. A proud Baylor alumna and also an avid Baylor fan, she...

Serving the Community

Students Serve area agencies on Service Project Day
Aubrey Pasant
Middle School students serve during PCA’s annual Service Project Day by delivering Operation Christmas Child boxes to their drop-off location.

Service Project Day
By Emma Stephens, Junior Editor

Gearing up for the annual Service Project Day, PCA students prepared themselves for a day of hard work. Service Project Day is when Upper School students one day out of the school year to serve at multiple venues across the metroplex. Throughout the day, students travel with their Advisory group, which consists of about 10 students and a teacher, to different nonprofits around the Dallas area, providing help and assistance. Prestonwood Christian Academy partners with an extensive number of organizations each year, including Bonton Farms, Prestonwood Baptist Church, Feed My Starving Children, North Texas Food Bank, Head Start programs and many more.

From packing food bags to making crafts with children, each and every student from seventh to twelfth grade has the opportunity to serve the people in their community. “My favorite part about Service Project Day is getting to hang out with all of the kids and seeing them smile about the small things that most of us don’t even think about on a daily basis,” said Junior McKenzie French. Each nonprofit organization benefits greatly from the assistance that the students and teachers provide.

Along with serving the community outside of the school, the students and teachers also serve when they get back to the classroom. Each Advisory group chooses a certain number of Operation Christmas Child boxes to fill up during a given amount of time. Each student signs up to bring items to put into the Operation Christmas Child boxes, along with a hand-written note for every box. “My favorite part about Operation Christmas Child is that each person can put a hand-written note in the box, feeling closer and more connected to the child even though we have never met them,” said Freshman Ava Caron. Because of Operation Christmas Child, students are able to touch a child’s heart and provide them with a wonderful gift for the holidays.

Service Project Day is an annual event during which the students and teachers get to participate to help out organizations throughout the metroplex. “Service Project Day is important because we get to branch out in the community and share the good news of God by serving,” said Junior Mason Boswell. Many students enjoyed serving on Service Project Day and look forward to taking part in this rewarding day every year of their Middle and Upper School career.

Aubrey Pasant, Adviser
Adviser Aubrey Pasant has been part of the Lion Nation since 2011 as a parent and is in her sixth year of helping students cover everything PCA. A proud Baylor alumna and also an avid Baylor fan, she loves cheering on FC Dallas, Disney World, and anything coffee related.