Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Julia Pickett
Julia Pickett
Co Editor-In-Chief

Julia Pickett is a Senior and lifer at PCA. She is a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff as Co Editor-In-Chief. She enjoys writing, traveling, watching sunsets, and spending time with family...

The Science Olympics

How students feel about Science Olympiad

In high school, there are many opportunities to join different clubs and activities. However, one of our lesser known STEM clubs, Science Olympiad, gives students the opportunity to learn how to problem solve while connecting with other students.

The Science Olympiad team often competes in competitions around Texas as well as some neighboring states. This means the students have to often travel together. All this time spent together can cause students to get to know each other in a more personal way. Many students consider this one of the reasons that Science Olympiad is fun.

Junior Mimo Olowu says, “I really enjoy traveling and connecting with my teammates because that connection enables us to work better as a team.”

This can make some lifelong friendships that can make a difference in someone’s life.

Not only is this a fun activity to participate in, it can also help you in the future.

Senior Issac Mei says, “Science Olympiad helps prepare me with more science information and it also helps me learn engineering skills.”

If someone plans to do something in the science or engineering field, this can help prepare them for what they are going to learn.

Mimo says, “I think this can also help with learning how to problem solve.”

Since there are different events, not all of them are the same and there are some things that you will have to do in one that you might not do in the other.

Science Olympiad doesn’t just revolve around one event, there are many events in the competitions.

Issac says, “My favorite event is detector building because I am able to work with my team to solve problems.”

In this event, teams have to build durable mass/force sensing devices that have to range from 20 to 1,000 grams. This requires lots of teamwork and problem solving skills. Mimo says, “My favorite event is forensics because you get to feel like you are on a crime scene or that you are working with the Federal Bureau Investigation.

Science Olympiad is a great opportunity to work on problem solving skills while also learning about what interests you for your future. You learn a lot as you go and you also learn from other teammates.

Sherina McKinley, Co-Sports Editor
Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out with friends in her free time.