Brooks Garland has been on the PCA Student Media Staff for 3 years and serves as Newspaper Intern this year. In her free time, she enjoys long walks on the beach, cheer, spending time with friends and...

Peyton Whitmarsh
Peyton Whitmarsh

Peyton Whitmarsh is a sophomore and a first year member of the LionsNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys watching the sunset with her friends, swimming for PCA, and spending time...

Braylon White
Braylon White
Graphic Designer

Braylon is a Junior and a Graphic Designer and Intern with PCA Student Media. He loves sports and all things Baseball on and off the field.

A Day In The Life

The Inside Scoop of an Athletic Trainer

As Friday Night Lights comes to an end, recognition should be given to those who work behind the scenes. The athletic trainers do so much for the sports, yet credit is often given to the football team. Those behind the scenes are often overlooked. Whether it’s going to practice after school everyday or having to miss school because of a game, athletic trainers are very involved.

This is something that is run by Head Trainer Danny Nafey who is often referred to as Doc. He has been the Head Trainer here for 20 years. He makes everything easy and fun. He is always up to teaching them how to tape an ankle or treat a bad turf burn. He wants everyone to have an equal opportunity to learn.

This is a great opportunity for students who want to do something in the medical field. It allows them to learn about different types of injuries and how to treat them. It also helps students learn how to work with other people and manage their time. Sophomore Athletic Trainer Natalia Moline says, “One of the things you have to do when becoming an athletic trainer is manage your time.” Managing your time is something that can help you throughout life. Time management is key when it comes to athletic training.

For someone who is just starting in this activity, it may seem very hard and challenging. It is a simple thing that just requires some effort. As long as you give effort and are a team player, you should be able to succeed. Junior Athletic Trainer Mimo Olowu says, “You have to be hardworking and have determination with a good work ethic and a willingness to serve.”

Along with a good work ethic you have to have patience. Sometimes when working with other people it can be difficult because not everyone wants to work at the same pace as you. Sophomore Athletic Trainer Dani Bottems says, “You have to have patience because not everything can go so fast.” You have to learn to cooperate with people and learn to have everyone on the same page.

This may be difficult and scary to get into. Whether it is a freshman or someone who is new, it can seem scary. Mimo says, “It’s not as scary as it seems, all you have to do is go and talk to Doc about why you want to be an athletic trainer and you will get pulled into the group where you immediately start learning.” As long as you communicate and have fun, it will be okay.

A typical day for an athletic trainer that is working with the football team includes, setting up the field and making sure everything is in the right place before kickoff. Once that is done, the training area where the trainer’s tape and stretch has to be set up. When the boys are all ready to go, then it is time to go on the field so that the boys can warm up. Throughout warmups the trainers have water and are walking around in case the players want any water. After warmups, everyone goes back inside for a couple of minutes, then once it is time for kickoff everyone walks out and starts the game.

This year I decided to become an athletic trainer and I really enjoy getting to learn from Doc. It’s a great opportunity for me because I want to become a physical trainer, so this gives me experience. I have learned so much and made so many new friends.

Sherina McKinley
    Sherina McKinley, Co-Sports Editor
    Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out with friends in her free time.