Lindsay Pyle
Lindsay Pyle

Lindsay Pyle is a Junior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer. In her free time she enjoys listening to Elvis Presley, watching Gilmore girls, and spending...

Peyton Whitmarsh
Peyton Whitmarsh

Peyton Whitmarsh is a sophomore and a first year member of the LionsNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys watching the sunset with her friends, swimming for PCA, and spending time...

Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

Black History Month 2022

February is Black History Month, this is how PCA celebrates

African Americans have made many great contributions to American history. From slavery to the fight for civil liberties, African American men and women have taken bold steps to secure the sacred values of equality and liberty. During the month of February, individuals look back on the various challenges and triumphs of African Americans. Black History Month began in 1915 and was instigated by the efforts of Carter G. Woodson and Jesse E. Moorland.  

PCA students participate in many different activities to center their focus on the various effects and success of African American groups and individuals throughout history. Lower School Librarian Mrs. Carlyle said, “We try to do a number of things during February. I love to spotlight authors and illustrators and show students some incredible artwork.” The achievements of African Americans span beyond broad displays of civil disobedience and momentous speeches. Looking at literary and artistic works of art can communicate the triumphs of the race. Lower School students are able to get a glimpse of the magnitude of the effect the African Americans had on society. 

Middle School students are also participating in various celebratory events. Middle School Librarian Mrs. Madden said, “I like to begin this celebration with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s., Memorials in January.  This year the 5th and 6th graders each cut out one hand which was placed in the shape of a heart with the caption ‘freedom hearts.’” These art activities bring the students out of their everyday routine and give them the time to reflect on the meaning behind the assignment. The ‘freedom hearts,’ bring about discussion about the topics of justice and the value of liberty. 

“The 7th and 8th graders each wrote down a ‘dream’ they have for their future.  Dr. King’s work and legacy was vital in the advancement for complete Civil Rights for African Americans as well as all people,” Said Mrs. Madden. Every human being has a dream. The content of that dream may be a place of divergence. However, it is important to show students that African Americans during the civil rights area were fighting for their rights to be able to achieve their dreams. 

Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Frederick Douglass, W.E.B Du Bois, Jackie Robinson, and many other American Americans left their mark on history. As we progress into the future, it is important that we reflect on the past. Black History Month causes people to look back on all that African Americans have achieved and contributed to history. 

Maia Brown
Maia Brown, Staff Writer
Maia Brown is a senior and first-year member on the LionNationOnline Staff where she serves as a Staff Writer. When she’s not in school, she is playing club soccer year round. She enjoys playing guitar, traveling, serving her community, and spending time with family and friends.