• April 25 / 5:00 pmVarsity Baseball | Liberty Christian School (at Away)

Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Peyton Whitmarsh
Peyton Whitmarsh

Peyton Whitmarsh is a sophomore and a first year member of the LionsNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys watching the sunset with her friends, swimming for PCA, and spending time...

Shae Locklin
Shae Locklin

Shae Locklin is a Junior and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff, where she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys making art, creating music with her friends, and all things outdoors. Shae is...

Meet the Player Pom – Elle Gillespie

Maia Brown
This is Elle Gillespie, the lion of the week on the POM squad.

At what age did you start doing dance?

I started dancing when I was 3 years old and haven’t stopped since!

How many hours a week do you practice?

On Pom, we practice around 5-10 hours a week and I dance at a studio about 15 hours weekly!

Name one thing you are working to improve right now?

Transition, transitions, transitions! Tricks are super important but how you get into those tricks is just as vital.

Pre-competition ritual?

Jogging in place to get warmed up and Pixie Sticks! On Pom, we always do our P-C-A P-O-M chant to hype us up!!

What’s something you need to do for a competition?

Perform!! Learning what you bring to a dance before competing is so important. A team that can perform takes a dance from good to great!

How would your teammates describe you?

Positive, focused, willing to help.

Who is your role model, and why?

My role model is our Pom coach, Jennifer Amburn. Not only is she an excellent dancer technically, but also an effective communicator, positive influence, and perfect at time management! (Coach A if you see this – we love you!)

What is the hardest thing about Pom Squad?

The hardest element of Pom is learning to focus on yourself. Though we are prone to compare ourselves with others or worry about what others think, Pom is about realizing that we are all on different journeys, but individual determination can take the team to new heights!

Name something that stresses you out, and why?

Procrastination! I’m a pretty organized person, so not having something until the last moment stressed me out.

Name a recent accomplishment you are proud of, and why?

I am so proud of Pom’s work ethic. Every week, we learn a new dance and perform it that Friday. Without fail, every member of the team shows up knowing the dance and excited to clean it. This growth mindset and dedication to the team makes Pom a positive place to be.

Before I graduate, I want to ________, and why?

Before I graduate, I want to be trained in all dance styles. Because there’s no guarantee I’ll dance post high school, it’s super important that I make the best out of the time I have now. 

Name one thing about yourself that most people don’t know?

I LOVE Chihuahuas!

About the Contributors
Lauren DenBraber
Lauren DenBraber, Staff Writer
Lauren DenBraber is a sophomore and first year-member on the LionNationOnline Staff where she serves as a Staff Writer. She is on the Science Olympiad team and is involved in FPS. She loves swimming on the PCA swim team and also loves hanging out with her dog, Bailey.  
Maia Brown
Maia Brown, Staff Writer
Maia Brown is a senior and first-year member on the LionNationOnline Staff where she serves as a Staff Writer. When she’s not in school, she is playing club soccer year round. She enjoys playing guitar, traveling, serving her community, and spending time with family and friends.