Lindsay Pyle
Lindsay Pyle

Lindsay Pyle is a Junior and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer. In her free time she enjoys listening to Elvis Presley, watching Gilmore girls, and spending...

Nathan Laperi
Nathan Laperi

Nathan Laperi is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, he serves as a staff writer. Nathan enjoys playing football and hanging out with friends. Last year, he was on the Yearbook...

Shae Locklin
Shae Locklin

Shae Locklin is a Junior and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff, where she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys making art, creating music with her friends, and all things outdoors. Shae is...

FPS Strives for Excellence

FPS Strives for Excellence
Shannon Lichty
The senior division FPS team poses with their award for the international competition.

Summer Break is the perfect time for laying by the pool and spending time with friends and family. This Summer, a few students went above and beyond in stretching their minds to compete and place in the 2021 Future Problem Solvers (FPS) International Competition.

Upper School FPS Coach, Mrs. Shannon Lichty, stresses the difficulty of getting to the International competition. “In order to qualify for the international competition you have to place first or second in any of the team competitions. For the Senior division sometimes it goes down to fourth place because there are so many teams, but for sure in the Junior and Middle division it is the top two teams. For individual competition in scenario writing, the first three places at state automatically advance to the international competition and the first place winner automatically gets invited to the international conference in June,” Mrs. Lichty said.

Students who participate in the Future Problem Solvers program devote countless hours to be prepared to perform well in each competition throughout the year in order to secure their spot in the international competition.

Senior Evelyn Edwards, a semi-finalist in the Senior division of the Global Issues Problem Solving team competition whose team placed thirteenth out of over 60 teams, said, “The best part about Internationals is getting to see all the different perspectives and unique ideas that people from all around the world come up with. Zoom really brought out the creative side in a lot of teams which in turn elevated the level of competition as well as how much fun we had.” Students competing in the competition use their various talents and creative ideas to come up with solutions to the problems given to them.

“I think a big factor to our success was that we each knew our strengths. For example, [two of the members of our team would] write our entire step six while [another member of our team and I would] return to previous steps to add research,” said Senior Sydney Brown, a member who worked alongside Evelyn Edwards and two others.The students competing in the group competitions learn the value of teamwork as they strive to achieve a common goal.

“I plan to stay with the same team, which I’m very excited about and do what we did last year but critique some weaknesses. It will be a fun FPS Senior year,” said Senior Callie Brady. FPS members are dedicated to success and are working to surpass last year’s results in the FPS 2021-2022 season.

Maia Brown, Staff Writer
Maia Brown is a senior and first-year member on the LionNationOnline Staff where she serves as a Staff Writer. When she’s not in school, she is playing club soccer year round. She enjoys playing guitar, traveling, serving her community, and spending time with family and friends.