Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

Julia Pickett
Julia Pickett
Co Editor-In-Chief

Julia Pickett is a Senior and lifer at PCA. She is a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff as Co Editor-In-Chief. She enjoys writing, traveling, watching sunsets, and spending time with family...

Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Rookie Guide to Homecoming

Students offer advice on how to make the most of Homecoming.
Media Monday brings out everyone from Sponge Bob to Jimmy Neutron to the cast of Up. Going all out for dress-up days  brought extra life and laughs to Homecoming week.
photo by Meg Miller
Media Monday brings out everyone from Sponge Bob to Jimmy Neutron to the cast of “Up.” Going all out for dress-up days brought extra life and laughs to Homecoming week.

Limos, lights, laughter and more. One week surpasses all others. Whether it’s the dress-up days, the football game or dance, Homecoming week offers something for everyone and defines fall in the LionNation.

Homecoming is not just one night, but a whole week of activities. For those who are new to the Upper School – whether Freshmen or new students – the idea of Homecoming may be uncharted territory. For those who are Homecoming rookies, here is advice, experiences and stories of people who know what it’s like, to help make the most of that first Homecoming.

Have fun with friends. It’s a time for coming together making memories. Plan the dress-up days to coordinate with others. Everyone can be a part of the Homecoming game festivities by hanging out with friends, wearing a mum or lei and cheering on the Lions. When Saturday rolls around, find a group for pictures, dinner, dancing and after parties.

Go all out. The more creative the costumes, the more enjoyable the week will be. No one is too cool for dress-up days. Use imagination. Offbeat and unexpected interpretations as well as big groups that go together often get the most notice.

Get involved. Float building and hallway decorating are the perfect opportunity to make new friends or have fun with the ones you have. Math teacher Mrs. Lori Nappier said, “When you get to graduation, you won’t remember the studying and hard tests and long days. You will remember things like float building, where you build not only the float, but memories as well.” Members of Student Government, who are responsible for all that, will also appreciate the help.

As part of Student Government last year, Junior Briley Taylor got to witness the behind the scenes action that makes Homecoming so special. She said, “I didn’t realize the amount of hours put into building and preparation. It makes you appreciate the faculty and students on SGA a little bit more.”

Don’t worry. It’s hard to know what to expect going into the night of the dance and easy to overthink and make too much out of it. Sophomore Lauren Meece experienced Homecoming for the first time last year. She said, “Don’t stress, and don’t make it a bigger deal than it needs to be.”

Looking back, she thinks her grade was way more stressed than necessary. Lauren recommends going with a group, large or small, because it makes it fun and more of a community experience. She said, “And groups make it less awkward if you and your date happen to not be dating.”

Dates are optional. Seniors Avery Beskar and Susan Robison have attended the dance both with and without dates. The first year of Homecoming, Avery was most excited about the dressing up, the makeup, the dance and all of the things that make Homecoming glamorous. Everything has calmed down since the chaotic planning that Freshman year, and they both recommend going with a group – date or no date – in order to keep things exciting and enjoy time with your friends.

Susan was expecting one experience but got another. She said, “I thought Homecoming would be just like the movies, but I was wrong. It isn’t better or worse, it’s just different. It is special in its own way.” Avery said, “Don’t worry about getting a date or what you look like, you can have fun regardless.”

Freshman Kate Follett looks forward to her first Homecoming. She is most excited for the after party and staying up late. She is going with a group of five couples and said, “I was pretty nervous about getting asked or not, but I am really happy about who asked me and how he asked me. I think we are going to have a great time.”

Homecoming is a time for fun and festivities with your friends. From the advice of people who have been there, don’t stress out over the little things. Find a group of friends, decide “It’s our Homecoming,” and make it great.

Emily Ballentine
Emily Ballentine, Editor-in-Chief
Emily Ballentine is a Senior and is the Editor-In-Chief LionNationOnline staff. She is a lifer and enjoys time with her friends. She likes working at Lauren James because she likes shopping and people. Emily plays softball and participates in Future Problem Solvers and the Lion Scholar Program.