Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Jackie Dominguez
Jackie Dominguez
Co Editor In Chief

Jackie Dominguez is a Senior and second year member of LionsNation Online. She serves as a Co-Editor in Chief. She enjoys playing volleyball, being on the FPS Board and being a member of the PCA Science...

Rachel Denbraber
Rachel Denbraber

Rachel DenBraber is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, she serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys participating in FPS and Science Olympiad. Outside of school, she enjoys...

Get Up and Give

Students can make a difference on North Texas Giving Day. Money raised helps pay for school programs through the PCA Fund.
photo by Jeremy Miller
North Texas Giving Day benefits students of all ages. The School hopes to beat the $327,000 raised last year.

Final Update –  860 donors have given $338,207 to the PCA Fund.

Astronaut Skype. Kindergarten Circus. High-touch High-tech. Fish tanks. Snakes. Service Day. Special Friends Basketball Game. There are many pieces to a Kingdom education. Tuition covers much of it, but it takes an extra boost to make our school truly excellent.

North Texas Giving Day is today Thursday, Sept. 14. The single day event helps non-profit groups all across the area raise money by offering incentives and contests that increase the value of donations. Last year, PCA raised $327,000 from 561 donors which went directly to the PCA Fund helping to support the programs that mold students into a Portrait of a Graduate.

Students are encouraged to participate in the fundraiser in three ways:

1. Retweet for a chance at $1,000. The organization with the most retweets of a single tweet wins. To help, look for the North Texas Giving Day Tweet with the hashtag #NTXGivingDay on the Twitter account @PrestonwoodPCA. Retweet that original tweet (do not quote tweet).
  2. Donate online. Every little bit helps. The school could win up to $5,000 in three different categories – most donors, most new donors and largest increase in number of donors. Instead of just parents giving, students could add to the number of givers in a big way. Gifts can be made today at bitly.com/PCA-NTXGD. Every donation, even $5, counts through tonight at midnight.
  3. Encourage parents to make a donation. No donation is too small.
  4. Students can also sign up to make phone bank calls on Thursday to potential donors to earn service hours: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c44a9aa22a1f58-north

Donations given on North Texas Giving Day go directly to the PCA Fund. While tuition covers approximately 95 percent of the school’s operating expenses, the PCA Fund covers the remaining five percent of the budget, funding needs in all areas of the school from athletics to arts, academics to special events.

Whether it’s the Fall Play or a field trip to the Dallas Arboretum, the PCA Fund makes these events happen by making up the difference between tuition and the school’s regular operating budget.

The PCA Fund helps pay for Lower School field trips. Pre-K 5 student Trey Beckles said, “I loved going to the Pumpkin Patch and getting to take home a pumpkin and make a pie. We got to go on a hay ride, too. I also got to have a picnic lunch with my friends.”

Blake Dunham, a Fourth grade student, said, “I  had a lot of fun at the Heard Museum. We got to see rocks, snakes, butterflies and really cool dinosaurs. My favorite part was getting to walk around the trails and see the turtles.”

The PCA Fund also helps buy fish tanks and other supplies for the Middle School Marine Team. Lilly Wilson, an Eighth grade student, said, “It was really cool to practice responsibility and know that I had my own tank. I had a variety of fish.”

The High-Touch High-Tech Science program also benefits from the PCA Fund. Second grade student Gillian Gile said, “One day we learned about matter, and we got to put different ingredients in a balloon to see what would make it pop. I love Science, and I love getting to try new things. Experiments are fun.”

Science teacher Mrs. Amy Lumley said, “The PCA Fund allows the Science department to supplement the curriculum with hands-on instructional materials. In years past, the PCA Fund has assisted in the purchasing of dissection materials, different chemicals and glassware, and other interactive materials.” Science teacher Mrs. Melody Gravett said, “The PCA Fund helps us to make Science come to life.”

This year, Director of Annual Giving Mrs. Micah Reis and the Development Office team hope to see North Texas Giving Day, the premier money-raising effort of the year for the PCA Fund, provide ample money to fund all the needs for this “Margin of Excellence,” a commitment to training the next generation of students using Kingdom education principles.

“It doesn’t matter the size of the gift, we would love to build community by having every family participate this year,” said Mrs. Reis.

To get everyone involved, special incentives are planned to encourage giving. Grade levels can earn incentives based on participation. Participation is per grade, not a competition between grades. These privileges build on each other so each grade can earn them all.

Plano Campus

Upper School:

70% participation – Crocs and Sandals Day

80% participation – College T-shirt Day

90% participation – Activity period treat (cookies with the Head of School)

100% participation – Lunch at Main Street Cafe (Seniors off campus)

Middle School:

70% participation – Spirit Day

80% participation – Three Spirit Days

100% participation – Lunch at Main Street Cafe

Lower School:

70% participation – 15 minutes of extra recess

80% participation – Popcorn Day

90% participation – Pictures and classroom visit by Levi the Lion

100% participation – Free Homework Coupon

North Campus

Middle School:

70% participation – Spirit Day

80% participation – 10 bonus points on Bible quiz

90% participation – Cookies with the Principal

100% participation – Sonic Drink in class

Lower School:

70% participation – Crazy Sock Day, choice of shoes

80% participation – Pajama and Popcorn Day

90% participation – Ice Cream party with Principal

100% participation – Pictures and classroom visit by Levi the Lion

In addition, PCA Plano students may wear a green shirt and jeans on Thursday.

Senior Director of Business Administration Susan Verheul said, “PCA could not operate with a balanced budget without the PCA Fund.  Because of its impact on so many of our programs and facilities, we are able to offer the high quality programs and state of the art facilities that we all are able to enjoy. Participating in the PCA Fund allows donors to actively participate in daily needs of our school.”

Courtney Villa, Editor in Chief
Avid pun connoisseur, Courtney Villa is Editor in Chief of LionNationOnline. She enjoys a variety of teas, soy candles and time with friends. Though she loves sleeping, she often lacks this commodity. On weekends you can find her snuggling with her dog, Biscuit, or enjoying a day on the town with her pals.