• April 19 / 7:00 pmVarsity Baseball | Parish (at Graham Field)
  • April 19 / 4:00 pmVarsity Softball | Trinity Christian Academy (at Home)

Sherina McKinley
Sherina McKinley

Sherina is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Sports Editor. She is Co-Captain of the Girls Soccer Team, and she enjoys listening to music and hanging out...

Izzy Anderson
Izzy Anderson

Izzy Anderson is a sophomore and a first year member of LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as a Staff Writer. She enjoys playing soccer for her school and traveling with her family. When she is not traveling...

Merritt Harris
Merritt Harris

Merritt Harris is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff. She serves as a Staff Writer and Graphic Designer. Outside of school she enjoys running and hanging out with friends...

Down to Business

President Trump selects cabinet members, two with Texas ties.
Members of President Donald Trump’s proposed cabinet

President Donald J. Trump assembled his Cabinet in the weeks leading up to the inauguration, as his plans for the first 100 days require getting to work immediately. His Cabinet reflects his campaign promise to “drain the swamp” as many of them would be considered Washington outsiders. He did, however, draw on those with political experience where appropriate.

Current Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions as the Attorney General and former Texas businessman and ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State lead the Cabinet. Also confirmed are Retired United States Marine Corps Generals John F. Kelley and James N. Mattis as Homeland Security Secretary and Secretary of Defense, respectively. Former contenders for the Republican nomination will also join the Cabinet, with former neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry taking office as Secretary of Energy.

President Trump’s cabinet will have a lasting effect on the country. The members of the cabinet fulfill two roles: to advise him regarding policy decisions and leading their respective departments. These men and women will be his closest advisors, and should he become unable to perform his presidential duties, they are first in the order of presidential succession.”The cabinet’s over sight provides some sense of order, structure and accountability,” said Sophomore Nick Whitley.

Students benefit from knowing who these officials are, and the views that they hold, because they will shape the future especially as it relates to the military, the courts and the economy.

Science teacher Melody Gravett said, “I love Ben Carson. He’s pro-life, and a real person who has been through it all.”
Science teacher Amy Lumley is also excited to have Dr. Carson in the Cabinet. She said, “He’s compassionate and seeks wisdom from God before he acts.”
Confirmation hearings began in Congress and will continue until all positions are approved.

Michael Beckemeier
Michael Beckemeier, Staff Writer
Michael is a sophomore and it's his first year to write for LionNationOnline. Warriors blew a 3-1 lead.