Jackson Graves
Jackson Graves

Jackson Graves is a Sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline staff, serving as a Staff Writer. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis, riding bikes, and hanging out with family.

Nathan Laperi
Nathan Laperi

Nathan Laperi is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff, he serves as a staff writer. Nathan enjoys playing football and hanging out with friends. Last year, he was on the Yearbook...

Braylon White
Braylon White
Graphic Designer

Braylon is a Junior and a Graphic Designer and Intern with PCA Student Media. He loves sports and all things Baseball on and off the field.

\pri-ˈdik-shən\

Many students look for the unexpected in 2017

In 2013, legend has it one movie critic did the unexpected. Elena Sheppard predicted with 100 percent accuracy the winners of the 2013 Golden Globes. It would be more likely to be struck by lightning on the red carpet than to pick the winner in all 25 categories correctly.

Famous French apothecary Nostradamus who lived during the reign of Queen Elizabeth predicted the Great Fire of London in 1666 with great detail. Mark Twain even predicted his own death saying, “I came in with Halley’s comet, and I will go out with it.” Born on the same day Halley’s comet was spotted in the sky, Twain died the day after the astronomical phenomenon exited the sky. All of these were crazy predictions that actually came true.

But what exactly are predictions? Predictions are speculations about what may happen in the future. The ones that catch attention are ones that are either unlikely based on history, unexpected based on facts or just plain far-fetched.

2016 was the year of the unexpected. Leonardo DiCaprio won his first Oscar after four acting nominations without a win. The Cubs won the World Series, 108 years after their last title. Donald Trump won the Presidential election when 9 out of 10 major polls on Election Day predicted his loss. Forecasting those outcomes would have been long shots at best.

However, The Simpsons predicted President Trump all the way back in 2000 in an episode that looked into Bart’s future. A high school Senior in California predicted in his yearbook that the Cubs would win the 2016 World Series in … 1993

Not to be outdone, students responded with some predictions of their own. Here’s to 2017.

“Hover cars are totally going to be a thing this year.”

-Freshman Emerson Ruley

“Boston Red Sox. 2017 MLB Champs.”

-Junior Courtney Villa

“Boys Varsity Soccer will be State Champs in 2017.”

-Junior Danilo Vilani

“At the 2020 Olympics, the USA will bring home 43 gold medals.”

-Junior Timothy Crisp

“Uggs are going to make a huge fashion comeback.”

-Freshman Nicole Snyder

“The Varsity Baseball team might have lost a lot of Seniors from last year, but I still believe that we have potential to develop into an outstanding team. We have a few great upperclassmen leading the way as well as talented Sophomores and Freshmen ready to play some ball and win some games. No doubt, we are going to strive to be like our 2016 Lions team which won State.”

-Sophomore Dylan Parker

“John Mayer’s new album is going to be the album of 2017. I’m looking forward to listening to it over and over and over again, and it will never get old.”

-Junior Honor Ridings

“Manchester City is doing great this year and I think they will end up on top in the British Premier League.”

-Junior Cody Morris

Grey’s Anatomy will definitely end in 2017.”

-Freshman Caroline Stogner

La La Land wins the Oscar for Best Movie and Best Director.”

-Senior Tanner Scheef

“A new taco shop modeled after Bueno Nacho in Kim Possible will open featuring an indoor playground for older kids.

-Freshman Joel Gray

“Honestly I think the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl because they are the best team at controlling the game and showing up in big situations. They’ve been fun to watch this year, especially the dynamic duo, Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot.”

-Junior Connor Lamm

“Kimye will get divorced. But then they will reconcile and get back together.”

-Junior Sydney Johnson

Landry Strawbridge
Landry Strawbridge, Managing Editor
Landry Strawbridge is a Senior staff member of LionNationOnline. This is her second year on staff, and she has found that she really enjoys taking pictures and making quizzes for the online site. Landry enjoys playing with other people’s dogs, drinking hot tea, and taking pictures of cities/skylines (and later sketching them). Someday, she will be the United States Secretary of State.