Filed under Student Life

On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

The audience is left guessing as the Theatre department presents the Fall Play, Agatha Christie’s "A Murder is Announced," this weekend.

The citizens of Chipping Cleghorn work together to solve the mystery in

photo by Landry Strawbridge

The citizens of Chipping Cleghorn work together to solve the mystery in "A Murder is Announced." The Fall Play runs Friday and Saturday, November 10-11, at the Eisemann Center in Richardson.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! A murder has been announced for Friday the 13th at 6:30 p.m. at the home of Mrs. Blacklock. The weirdest part about this announcement? The murder has not happened yet. Could the murderer be Mrs. Marple, the elderly woman? Could it be Mrs. Blacklock herself? Or perhaps her relative, Patrick Simmons?

The Fall Play is based on Agatha Christie’s A Murder is Announced. In the play, on Friday the 13th, an announcement is made in the newspaper saying there will be a murder. Upper School Theater Director Ms. Pam Hurt said, “It’s the first murder mystery we’ve done. It shows a Christian view with both good and bad morals in the story. The audience will not know who committed the murder, and anybody could be a suspect.”

The play runs Friday, November 10 and Saturday, November 11, at the Eisemann Center in Richardson.

The cast began rehearsal in August and has been practicing four days a week since then. Sophomore Lauren Meece plays Mrs. Blacklock, an elderly woman who owns the house in which the murder takes place. Lauren said, “We have been working on developing character since August. It is very important to convey the character in a way that helps the audience to react properly to each revelation.”

The rigorous rehearsals consist of developing the mannerisms and language of their character. Because the play is set in England, the cast has been working on their best British accents. Such elements of character draw the audience in and help bring the story to life.

Senior Avery Rudd is Mrs. Marple in the play. Mrs. Marple is an amateur detective and old enough to be everyone’s grandmother. Avery has been preparing her lines since August and is excited to perform in her last Fall Play. Avery said, “Memorization is very important to the quality of the play. Though improvisation can save your performance, the effect is not the same.”

Sophomore Hunter Hall plays Patrick Simmons, a young college student and relative of Mrs. Blacklock’s, who is caught up in the mystery. The cast must know certain techniques about where to stand and what gestures to make in order to properly portray their characters. Hunter described the importance of blocking and memorization. He said, “We have to know all of our lines and our blocking in rehearsal. If we do not get it right the first time, we keep working so that the timing is perfect. Good timing and purposeful gestures really add meaning to a performance. I am most excited to see everyone’s reactions.”

As the cast continued to practice, elements such as props, set, and costume had to be pulled together as well. Tech Theatre, led by Dr. Philip Craik, has been building a set fit for the fictional English town of Chipping Cleghorn.

Volunteers have been brushing up on their makeup and costume design skills in preparation for opening day. Lauren said, “I can’t wait for the actual performance. Getting to do our hair, makeup, costumes and putting on the show is so exciting. I can’t wait to share our hard work with everyone.”

Try to solve this mystery yourself by attending the play. Tickets are still available at  https://www.eisemanncenter.com/events/v/calendar

photo by Holly Jayroe

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Save the Date

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Take a Staycation

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

the grid

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Ready to Go?

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

#trending

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Truth or Just a Show?

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

the grid

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Eight Ways to Celebrate

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

Something for Everyone

• On Friday the 13th, Someone Will Die

Student Life

PUMPkin’ Up the Jams