Justin Rodriguez
Justin Rodriguez

Justin is a Senior and a second year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. He serves as a Sports Editor. He enjoys basketball and football, and also loves music and fashion.

Natalie Choi
Natalie Choi

Natalie Choi is a sophomore and a first year member of the LionNationOnline Staff. She serves as Staff Writer this year. When she is not in school she enjoys spending her free time with her friends by...

Adviser Aubrey Pasant has been part of the Lion Nation since 2011 as a parent and is in her sixth year of helping students cover everything PCA. A proud Baylor alumna and also an avid Baylor fan, she...

Playing for Each Other

Varsity Volleyball advances to the Final Four and will play Concordia Lutheran – Tomball in the State Semi-Final game Friday night.
Senior Caroline Dow goes up for the kill against Trinity Christian. The Varsity Volleyball team has advanced to play in the State Semi-Final game Friday.
photo by Jeremy Miller

Bright white volleyballs sail over the net as music pumps up the crowd. The Varsity Volleyball team stretches and warms up before the playoff crowd. The air is electric with excitement. The team huddles around Head Coach Mrs. Becky O’Neal to get their game plan and review the lineup one more time before high-fiving their teammates and taking the court for the first match.

The Varsity Volleyball team advanced through the Regional playoffs last weekend coming back to defeat Ursuline, 3-2, after losing the first two games in the match. “We sometimes get off to a slow start, but we pulled through,” said Junior Aeris Rabroker.

photo by Jeremy Miller
Sophomore Noelle Piatas drives the ball past the Trinity block in the District game against the Trojans.

The team meets Concordia Lutheran – Tomball in the Semi-Final match on Friday. They are the reigning State Champions and have had another strong season. “We have to go all out on defense and play smart offensively to beat Tomball,” said Sophomore setter Cami Deaton.

Though regular season games against teams such as Bishop Lynch and Parish Episcopal proved difficult, the girls now push themselves to work harder and practice with an edge in hopes of advancing to the State game. The Bishop Lynch team went 16-0 through District play and will be a formidable likely opponent should the Lions advance to the final.

Senior Kaci Carter said, “Lynch is a tough opponent, but they make us practice harder. When we work together, we can give them a run for their money.”

The team went 8-8 in District play. However, in the much-anticipated game against Trinity Christian, the Lady Lions pulled through with a win. The game attracted fans from both schools and the student sections were overflowing. The girls pushed Trinity to work harder than ever, extending the game to five matches. Fans stayed the whole game to root the team on.

Senior Caroline Dow said, “When the student section is hyped, so are we. It was pretty exciting to hear how many fans were out there cheering us on.”

The Lady Lions also won their first tournament of the season at Prince of Peace. They fought hard against teams such as Trinity, Nolan Catholic and Liberty Christian. The girls took home a first-place trophy and incentive to keep up the good work.

Now, the Lions only need two final wins to take home another first-place trophy and finish as State Champions. Coach O’Neal said, “The key to success is focusing on our game, knowing that every single point matters, playing for each other and playing to honor the Lord.”

Junior Bailey Byker said, “We all have to show up, cheer and have fun to win this weekend.”

The team takes on Concordia Lutheran – Tomball Friday at 8 p.m. at West High School in West, TX. The State Championship game will also be played in West on Saturday at 3 p.m.

photo by Jeremy Miller
The team celebrates the point mid-court. The Lions will emphasize team play as they advance to the final four.
Landry Strawbridge
Landry Strawbridge, Managing Editor
Landry Strawbridge is a Senior staff member of LionNationOnline. This is her second year on staff, and she has found that she really enjoys taking pictures and making quizzes for the online site. Landry enjoys playing with other people’s dogs, drinking hot tea, and taking pictures of cities/skylines (and later sketching them). Someday, she will be the United States Secretary of State.